Saturday, April 14, 2012

KEEP Asking & You Shall Receive; KEEP Seeking & You Shall Find

Many people are familiar with the "ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find" scripture but did you know that the scripture has an even deeper meaning? Persistence. I have included passages from Luke 11 (story also found in Matthew 7:7-8) and Jeremiah 29.

Luke 11:5-10 (NLT) – Then, teaching them more about prayer, [Jesus] used this story: “Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, ‘A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.’ And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence. “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.”

Jeremiah 29:11-14 (NIV) – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity."

God has a reason for everything and His timing is always perfect. He is near. Is there a prayer or need that you keep asking for and seem to get no answer? Or is your need so big that you do not even bother asking for His help? I hope this encourages you to ask, seek, not give up, and be persistent! God is interested in you and every detail of your life. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (Philippians 4:6, NASB). And remember, God may just be answering "not yet." In waiting, we develop strength in who we are in Christ and also learn to trust not in ourselves but in God.

Great (short) devotionals by Rick Warren:

When God Says 'Wait'

The Difficulties While God Delays

No comments:

Post a Comment