Saturday, August 11, 2012

June 16, 2012 (Wreck Anniversary Cont'd)

On June 16, 2005 I was in a near-fatal car wreck which left me paralyzed, broken in spirit, and confused about my purpose and life all together. It has been a difficult journey and I've had a lot of growing up to do but I would not be who I am had it not happened. I have been reconnected with my Savior and learned many invaluable lessons and revelations that prepare the way for my future and for who I was created to be.

In early May, I received an email requesting that I come share my story with a group of at-risk teens at the YMCA in McKinney, my hometown, on my 7th year wreck anniversary. I knew instantly that it was meant to be and without hesitation, accepted the request.


Part of what I shared with these teens is that we are the way we are because we were made for a specific purpose. We each have our own unique set of interests, talents, abilities, and life experiences which shape who we are. Which ones are unique to you and how can you use them to reach others? To rescue others? What have you overcame that others, who may have no direction, are still struggling with?


For me personally, I had a very difficult time fitting in when I was in school, I have had several experiences where I have been taken advantage of by friends and even guys, I have experienced losing almost all of my friends, I have had experience with drugs, and although I did not like to drink, I had a bad experience with alcohol which landed me in this chair. As for my interests, I enjoy speaking, being a leader, and helping others. And it is in these moments that I am living in accordance to the experiences, interests, and abilities that I have been given that I truly feel joy and feel that I am fulfilling my purpose. There is no greater feeling  and that is why I encourage you to take hold of what you have been given because everything that life is about is to constantly prepare you for your future.

May today mark a new beginning for all of us. Life is meant to be lived and we are meant to help others. Let's open our hearts and minds to our true purpose and actually living a life of purpose. Every day is an opportunity to learn, grow, produce, and bring about change. There are so many people that are lost, lonely, depressed, and in lack and there are just as many social problems in our world that need tackled. What have we been waiting for? A push? A shove? Count this as one. Let God use you. Help others. Love others. Forgive.

Father, We give you our hearts, our minds, our lives, and our relationships for Your purposes. Mold us God. Work in us. Speak to us. Lead us. Convict us. Open our eyes Lord so that we will see with Your vision. Reveal to us the hurting, the lonely, the broken-hearted, and those in need and how we can help. Provide us with opportunities to serve. May we stop living for the world and for ourselves and start living for you Lord. Forgive us God for our selfishness. Give us a kingdom mindset. We pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment