Saturday, June 30, 2012

Father's Day, My Sister In Town, & My 7 Year Wreck Anniversary

My sister, who lives in Chicago, came into town for Father's Day this year and she stayed for 6 days. When discussing how to celebrate our Dads (my Dad and my boyfriend Billy's Dad), we decided to have a giant fish fry at our house since both our freezer and Billy's Dad's freezer had bags of fish stored in them. I was told that there were many types of fish caught - catfish, bass, crappie... but I just called them Yum, Yum, and Yum! I've included a picture of some keepers. On the Saturday before Father's Day, my sister, Dad, and boyfriend went fishing one more time while my Mom and I went to the YMCA because I had a speaking engagement there.

We started the big day off with an amazing church service at The Covenant Church in McKinney. I feel the Holy Spirit ACTIVE in that place! The music and sermon were wonderful. Our Pastor began his sermon by prooving the power and significance of a father in a child's life and included upsetting statistics. A father-less child's wellness and success is at an alarming disadvantage. He went further to include examples of children that beat the statistics and encouraged us all to beat the statistics! What I loved most was how our Pastor commended fathers that are FATHERS and have active roles in the lives of their children as well as mothers who unfortunately must play the role of both parents. He ended with charging fathers to be the men that God created them to be - fathers, husbands, sons, employees, neghbors, friends - with integrity and love. Amen!

Later that day, we had Billy's Dad and siblings over as well as the Leachs, our neighbors who just moved, and began the fish frying adventure. We had Louisiana style fish, grilled and fried squash, almond broccili cole slaw, big lima beans, Mom's potato salad, fruit salad, watermelon, and cookies!! Everything tasted ah-mazing! It was a nice and needed time with friends and family! We also went to the movies and watched The Avengers!

The remainder of my sister's visit was great. We also had a burger cookout with the DeWets, other neighbor friends and ate way too much AGAIN! Now, all I have to do is devise a plan to bring my sister home! Any suggestions are welcome!

I would like to end by thanking and commending all of the fathers as well as mothers who truly are that - fathers and mothers. It is a big responsibility but it is a great treasure as well. A special thank you to my parents. June 16, 2012 was the 7th anniversary of my car wreck and all that comes to mind is your love, mercy, grace, patience, support, and devotion. You are what comes to mind. You both are truly amazing and one of a kind. The two revelations received from my wreck that I treasure most are realizing how much God and you love me. I love you both and am so grateful to have such ALL-STAR parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment